Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Arnold Kids

As a reflection on my current service project, I am currently working with students at Arnold Elementary in grades 1, 2, and 3. With the first graders, I work in a specific class room reviewing vocabulary words and helping them with phonics. In the second grade room I work with specific students on math skills, currently we are learning coins. I also work with the second and third graders doing math flash cards and practicing reading with short books. All in all I spend about 5 hours a week working with these kids with hopes of making a difference in their life.
The reason we chose Arnold Elementary was because it sounded like it had something in store for all of us. I love working with kids and I'm used to it, so I didn't think this experience would be like any different-but it is. Unlike the other times I've worked with kids, at a day care job, babysitting, or in my practicum-working at Arnold is voluntary. I am giving up my time to help these kids the best that I can and I think that is why this experience is so rewarding for me-because I feel I am doing a good thing. I also feel as I am truly there for a reason. Whether this is benefitting me or the students--I believe it goes both ways.
What I am hoping for the outcome of this project is to help the students be the best that they can. I believe I bring a different personality into the room and sometimes kids need that extra help to get them on the track they need to be on. I think the staff appreciates my help and they also know I am doing the best for the benefit of the learning experience at Arnold.

No comments:

Post a Comment